Inpatient medical therapy is not the only way to treat arthrosis. The disease has a chronic course and is difficult to remove. In advanced forms of pathology, irreversible changes occur, and to maintain the condition, a therapeutic regimen is prescribed, which a person follows at home. Treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint at home, in addition to traditional medicine, includes various folk recipes that increase the effectiveness of drugs, restore blood circulation and improve well-being.
Contraindications and recommendations
Before starting any therapy, the patient should familiarize himself with the contraindications for applying the treatment scheme. Correct assessment of the condition and complete familiarization with contraindications will help prevent complications of the disease and make the therapy as effective as possible.
The main contraindications for traditional medicine:
- oncological diseases;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- bronchitis with an asthmatic component;
- allergic reactions to medicinal plants or foods used in a certain recipe;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- chronic diseases of an infectious nature;
- period of exacerbation of systemic diseases;
- congenital anomalies or diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- hepatitis with ascites.
Other contraindications include pathologies of the endocrine system in the form of goiter (autoimmune or toxic origin).
Before starting a course of treatment, it is advisable to consult a doctor, since it is difficult or even impossible to treat arthrosis of the knee joint at home with only folk recipes. During the consultation, the doctor explains what arthrosis of the knee joint is and how to treat it at home with drugs, the patient's task is to find suitable folk recipes. It is better to immediately make a choice of several of the most suitable drugs and ask about the possibility of their use and the expected effect.
At home, it is recommended to treat the disease:
- after accurate diagnosis. First you will need to pass a series of tests to determine the nature of the origin of the disease and its stage;
- with an integrated approach to therapy. Folk recipes only supplement drug treatment. The whole stage of the therapy should take place under the supervision of a doctor and with regular clinical examinations;
- external and oral means can be used only if there is no allergy to the components of the drug.
It is possible to eliminate the pain and heal the knee in close cooperation with a specialist. The addition of folk remedies to the treatment regimen increases the speed of recovery and the effectiveness of the main treatment.
The right nutrition
It should not be based only on traditional medicine, because arthrosis of the knee joint must be treated at home in a complex way. The basis of any therapeutic course is a change in diet.
Malnutrition has 3 main disorders:
- metabolic disease. One of the main reasons for the development of arthrosis is the lack of nutrients in the cartilage tissue;
- micronutrient deficiency. The knee joint needs building materials for tissue regeneration, even with a good metabolism, in the presence of a deficiency of trace elements, rapid wear occurs;
- obesity. Eating fatty and unhealthy food not only damages the metabolism, the health of the internal organs, but also provokes an increase in the body mass index. The heavy weight leads to an increased load on the legs, especially on the knee and hip joints. The risk of developing arthrosis in overweight people is several times higher.
A balanced diet is the key to the patient's recovery and reduction of symptoms. With a properly composed diet, all body systems are restored, and it is also possible to correct body weight. Diet is the first step in any therapy.
Before treating gonarthrosis of the knee joint at home, it is important to enrich the diet with key mineral and vitamin substances:
- vitamin D is produced in the body when sunlight hits the skin, and is also found in cod liver, dairy products;
- Vitamins of group B are contained in eggs, fish, nuts, green vegetables, seafood;
- calcium, more often enters the body from milk and its products, as well as from sesame, parmesan, basil;
- vegetable fiber: all kinds of vegetables, herbs and fruits.
The basis of the diet should be complex carbohydrates, they should represent up to 80% of the calories from the diet. The condition of the joints is positively affected by dishes prepared on the basis of sinews of animal origin: natural jelly, filling, extracts from the joints of bulls, jelly, etc.
The diet should be more:
- various dairy products;
- fresh vegetables with herbs, but you should eat less cabbage, tomatoes, peppers;
- pasta and bread (it is better to choose whole grain);
- various cereals, except oatmeal;
- all kinds of nuts;
- low-fat varieties of fish, meat;
Nutritionists recommend giving up fatty, salty, sour and fried foods, as well as eliminating the use of coffee and alcohol. It is worth limiting, but not completely excluding the use of various oils, buns, sweets and soda. When cooking, it is better to give preference to boiling, baking and steaming.
Before treating arthrosis of the knee joint at home with the help of nutritional correction, it is better to clean the body from the remnants of harmful food. The intake of vegetables, fruits, rice, along with decoctions of juniper, birch or nettle leaves, will help to eliminate toxins and improve digestive function.
How to fix the knee with arthrosis?
Symptoms and treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint at home are controlled by the doctor, he additionally recommends limiting the mobility of the affected limb. When the load is distributed on the injured knee, the severity of the symptoms is reduced and the progression of the disease is slowed down. With the help of a special bandage, the knee is fixed in a position that limits its mobility and reduces the load on the joint. The knee brace helps to evenly distribute the load on the entire limb.
Treatment of gonarthrosis with a bandage is recommended for 1-2 degrees of development of the pathology. At home, the device can be replaced with an elastic bandage, it helps stop the pain. Periodically, the bandage should be removed (after 1-2 hours) to restore blood circulation in the knee.
Basic rules for wearing a bandage:
- the bandage is applied tightly but moderately. Strong compression of adjacent tissues often leads to exacerbation of the disease;
- before applying the bandage, the leg is straightened;
- burdock leaves or a copper compress will help to improve the effect of the bandage, they are placed under the material;
- if pain or discomfort occurs, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
The technique is also prescribed at the stage of relapse of the disease, but then it is better to give preference to special knee pads. With their help, it is possible to stabilize the condition, as well as extend the period of remission.
How to treat knee arthrosis at home?
The main condition of the therapy is that the disease must be cured safely, any risky procedures are contraindicated. To determine the risk, the patient should always consult with the treating orthopedist or rheumatologist. During communication with a doctor, it is often possible to develop more effective methods of treatment.
It is important to remember that some of the therapeutic methods at home are impractical, as they can cause dangerous side effects: increased inflammation, allergies and disturbances in various internal systems.
Gymnastics for arthrosis
Joint diseases almost always require special care for the joint. Recovery is possible with sufficient physical activity, but lack of physical activity or heavy work can harm the patient. Gymnastic procedures accelerate blood circulation in the limbs, reduce the severity of symptoms.
One of the best ways to treat knee arthrosis of the 2nd degree at home is gymnastics. The complex includes:
- Immediately after a night's sleep, the "bicycle" exercise is performed. With breaks, the journey should be 15 minutes.
- Lying on your back, pull your leg bent at the knee, then straighten it. It is recommended to do 20 repetitions for each limb.
- They sit on a chair and straighten their legs, toes stretch towards themselves. In the process of movement, it is important to concentrate as much as possible on well-being. If excessive tension is felt, the amplitude can be reduced.
- Regular squat. For the approach, it is better to perform 30 repetitions.
- Frequent walking, at least 20-30 minutes a day.
This method can not only treat, but also prevent the deterioration of the stage of the disease, improving the condition of the joint joint.
cold and warm
You can apply cold and warm compresses:
- cold therapy is used exclusively in the initial stage of the disease. It helps to eliminate pain, reduce swelling, and also has an anti-inflammatory effect. You need to prepare ice in advance and think about a comfortable position of the body so that you do not do this while preparing the compress. It is important to sit for 30 minutes without moving, the legs will be slightly elevated. An ice pack is applied to the knee, it is fixed with a bandage or bandage and waited for half an hour in this position;
- warm compresses can be used only if there is no swelling of the knee. Heated sand, salt, etc. can be used as a heating agent. . After applying the compress, there should be no burning sensation, if it is baked, cool to a warm state. The method helps to eliminate pain.
Medicinal infusions and decoctions
One of the most effective ways to relieve pain in arthrosis of the knee joint at home are decoctions, tinctures for internal and external use. They are designed to slow down arthritic diseases and improve well-being. The recipes are based on various medicinal plants and extracts. With their help, the metabolism in the joint tissues is restored, pain sensations are dulled and the removal of harmful substances from the synovial fluid is accelerated.
Formulations for oral administration
Treatment of arthrosis of the 2nd degree of the knee joint at home can also be carried out using oral infusions, but they are prohibited for use:
- people with a tendency to alcohol dependence;
- patients with liver and kidney failure;
- in violation of the function of the gastrointestinal tract and other disorders of internal organs.
The first and second stages of the disease often involve the use of oral medications:
- decoction of bay leaves. The plant removes the swelling of the knee and helps to cleanse the body. Cleansing procedures will require the use of 10 g of dry bay leaves and a cup of boiling water. The mixture is put on fire, boiled and boiled for 15 minutes. The broth is then poured into a thermos and left to infuse overnight. The prepared mixture is taken for 3 days in 200 ml in small sips throughout the day. It is important to observe the dose, no more than 200 ml per day, as well as to adhere to a diet based on: vegetables, fruits, herbs;
- tincture on lilac flowers. 100 g of lilac flowers are useful for cooking. The flowers are poured with vodka (you can use distilled water). The infusion process takes 1-2 weeks, after which the composition is filtered and stored in a darkened room. Take 30-40 drops before meals at breakfast and dinner;
- herbal tincture. This will take 2 tbsp. l parsley seeds, dandelion rhizomes (crushed), sea buckthorn, fennel. The indicated herb has positive reviews due to its effective analgesic effect. All ingredients are mixed and poured with 0. 5 liters of boiling water. Before using the composition, the mixture is allowed to cool. Take 2 tablespoons daily in the morning before meals;
- tincture of beets, blueberries and radishes (black variety). The listed ingredients are peeled, passed through a meat grinder. 0. 5 l of cognac is poured into the resulting composition, after which everything is mixed. In a dark and cool place, the mixture is infused for 10 days, this is necessary for it to acquire healing properties. After they stand, the mixture is strained and left in the refrigerator. Take 1 tablespoon in the morning, 10 minutes before meals.
Infusions for external use
Popular recipes for tinctures for external application:
- on birch buds. For preparation, use 100 g of the main ingredient and 500 ml of vodka (diluted alcohol is suitable). In order for the liquid to absorb all the useful substances, you need to leave it for 1 month in a dark place. The prepared composition is rubbed into the knees every day;
- on dandelion flowers. The flowers of the plant fall asleep in a glass container (preferably colored glass) and vodka is poured. The infusion process takes 30 days. The suitable place should be at room temperature and protected from the sun. After straining the dandelions, rub the composition on your knees every evening. A wool scarf is fixed on the product.
Compresses in the treatment of arthrosis and methods of their use
When comparing the effectiveness of applications and ointments, the former show the best results. It is better to give preference to proven recipes during treatment.
- We cut the cabbage and load it into the juicer.
- A warm handkerchief is moistened with the juice of the plant and applied to the sore spot.
- Use a compress 1 time a day before going to bed.
From cabbage, there is another recipe for preparing a compress that does not require cutting the leaves. Its preparation:
- Separate whole leaves from the cabbage, which are diluted with vinegar and honey (3 to 1).
- The sheets are smeared with a mixture of vinegar and honey, treating only the side that will be in contact with the knee.
- Apply sheets to the feet.
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap or a woolen scarf.
Both compresses improve well-being and relieve discomfort. The duration of therapy is 1 month.
Compress with honey and bile
The preparation of the compress is carried out in several stages:
- Mix glycerin, honey, therapeutic bile, 5% iodine solution and 10% ammonia.
- The composition is left in a dark cool place for 10 days.
- Before application, the composition is slightly heated and placed on the fabric.
- The patch with the medicine is attached to the leg with a plastic film, and a warm scarf or scarf is placed on top.
To increase the healing properties, the procedure is done at night, and the compress is left until the morning. Patients note the complete removal of pain, sometimes the effectiveness is not inferior to injections.
Compress with horseradish
- Horseradish roots are washed on a medium grater.
- The substance is infused in heated (but not boiled) water.
- The substance is applied to the tissue and attached to the knee.
- Keep the medicine until the pain subsides completely.
The compress will bring a positive effect when collecting fresh leaves from a plant in an ecologically clean area, it is better to choose a plant away from the road and other sources of pollution.
How to cook:
- The skins are stacked on top of each other, and a hot pan is placed on top of them.
- They wait for the leaves to evaporate so that they begin to release useful substances, after which they are applied to the sore spot.
- Top with a layer of plastic wrap and a warm material.
Before applying the leaves to the skin, it is recommended to treat it with vegetable oil, preferably corn or olive oil.
Compress with dimethyl sulfoxide
This is a drug with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic action, which is often used to prepare compresses for arthrosis. For treatment, a 50% solution is used, that is, the original composition of dimethylsulfoxide is diluted with water 1 to 4. The mixture is impregnated with gauze and applied to the affected area. A plastic bag or film is placed on top, the napkin is tied with cotton cloth. Duration of socks - 30 minutes. Therapeutic course - 10-14 days.
According to their properties, applications do not differ from compresses. In traditional medicine, there are many varieties of application. Often, boiled leaves of aloe, celandine, burdock and cabbage are used to relieve pain and eliminate inflammation. Before application, all the leaves are washed well and removed a little (they can be crushed, cut), the purpose of the procedure is to release the juice from the leaves. Appliqués are placed on the sore spot, wrapped with a warm towel. Keep sheets worth about 6-8 hours.
A rather unusual method of therapy is foil therapy. Nutrient sheets change the energy of the muscles and joints. Patients claim relief from pain and inflammation after application. The foil is wrapped around the entire limb or sore spot.
Treatment of arthrosis at home often involves the use of therapeutic baths. They have a beneficial effect not only on the organ with pathology, but also improve the condition of the entire organism. The water is heated to body temperature - 38°C, it is recommended that the patient stay in the water for up to 20 minutes. Hot baths are contraindicated.
Additives are used to give healing properties:
- decoction of birch branches;
- extracts of lavender, pine needles;
- sea salt;
- essential oils: bergamot, lemon, pine.
The procedure is common in sanatoriums and resorts, but you can stock up on mud (it must be medicinal) in the deposits or buy it in pharmacies, the technique is also applicable at home. Mud applications heat the joint and enrich cartilage tissues with useful microcomponents.
In the course of heating with mud additionally used:
- sea salt;
- mustard (dry).
Medicinal ointments and rubs
Only natural ingredients are used for the preparation of rubs and ointments. Bear or badger fat can be used as a base, but a more economical option is vegetable oil. To increase the effectiveness of the ointment, it is necessary to ensure intensive blood flow to the knee by heating the limb with self-massage.
Garlic is a storehouse of useful substances, it is not surprising that it is rubbed with it.
How to make:
- The head is cleaned and crushed.
- Pour the ingredient into a glass container and add 200 ml of oil.
- Place the container in a light-protected place for 1 week.
There are no time limits for using the rub, but in the evening the effectiveness is slightly higher. It is better to use it in the evening because of the specific smell. If rubbed in the morning, one will smell strongly of garlic.
- Prepare 50 g of ground root, which is mixed with 120 ml of vodka.
- Infuse the mixture for 2 weeks.
- Apply a rub to the affected area and hold until the discomfort disappears.
Eggs and apple cider vinegar
Preparation and application:
- A mixture of egg yolk and apple cider vinegar is made in equal proportions.
- You can use it immediately after preparation, the number of applications is 3 times in 7 days.
- It is recommended to apply at night and leave until morning, wrapped with a warm towel on top.
Production and use:
- Mix 100 g of honey with 3 g of mumio.
- After preparation, the mixture is applied to the skin near the affected joint, preferably before going to bed.
- Treatment lasts 1 week.
You can supplement the prescription with internal use of mumio, but the drug has contraindications.
Warming mustard ointment
- Mix 100 g of mustard (in powder form) with 200 g of salt with a small fraction and a small piece of melted paraffin.
- Beat the mixture until it forms a paste.
- The composition is placed in a glass container and infused for 12 hours.
It is better to use the ointment in the evening.
Celandine and olive oil
- Remove the top of the plant (the root is not used), you should get 3 tbsp.
- Pour 200 ml of vegetable oil (olive or sunflower).
- The composition is infused for 2 weeks.
The course of treatment is 1 month, the composition is used daily. Rub the oil tincture with massaging movements.
Warming camphor ointment
To prepare the ointment, you need to have 2-3 chicken eggs, a bottle of 96% alcohol (100 g) and 50 g of camphor with mustard. Beat the eggs in a blender until the egg is foamy and all the ingredients are well mixed. The mixture is applied to the affected area at night, and the area is covered with a bandage. The course continues until recovery.
In diseases of the joints and muscles, animal fat, especially badger fat, is extremely effective. Other healthy types of fat are lard and visceral. The substance is rubbed into the affected joints for 1 month.
Non-traditional areas of medicine are often used as adjunctive therapies. They are based on the experience of Eastern healers, combined with modern scientific achievements.
The basis of anti-arthritic treatment can be:
- ozone therapy;
- treatment with leeches;
- pharmacopuncture along with acupuncture;
- chiu energy healing;
- manual treatment.
The only drawback of the direction is the complexity of the implementation with your own hands, since it is necessary to have appropriate knowledge in each direction.
Hirudotherapy or leech treatment
The positive effect of leeches is due to the special composition of saliva, which leads to the elimination of puffiness, relief of inflammation and relief of pain. Hirudin and other specific enzymes enter the patient's blood, which increases the fluidity of the blood, stimulates the improvement of the quality of blood circulation and relieves pain.
Apitherapy or treatment of knee joints with bees
Bees are of great benefit not only with their waste products, but even their venom can help a sick person with arthrosis. Bee venom belongs to the group of strong allergens, before using apitherapy it is important to do an allergic reaction test, otherwise the patient will face serious complications.
Courses of treatment with bees lead to irritation of certain points and small areas of tissue with a small dose of venom. The procedure helps to activate blood circulation and improve the nerve conduction of the endings. The technique is associated with pain, but brings a good effect.
The technique involves impact on bioactive points, the procedure has a number of different effects:
- restores metabolism;
- helps strengthen the immune system to fight pathology;
- accelerates lymph flow and blood flow;
- relieves spasmodic and painful phenomena;
- improves well-being;
- restores joint functions.
Today, acupuncture can be performed in several ways:
- fine needle acupuncture;
- pharmacopuncture implies increasing the effect with the help of drugs;
- moxa therapy involves the use of cones and cigars (usually wormwood) that are used to treat the diseased area;
- acupressure, taking into account the knowledge of energy channels through which energy circulates. Redirecting the body's forces to repair the knee has a positive feedback loop.
For all joint pathologies, therapy with the help of movements is prescribed. The method of performing the movements is determined individually.
With regular execution of the procedure, it is possible:
- learn how to move properly so as not to injure the inflamed joint;
- increase in muscle tone;
- develop relationships;
- increase in stretch;
- restoration of cartilage function.
Osteoarthritis of the knee joint is particularly dangerous due to the complications and irreversibility of the processes. Only timely treatment and adequate therapy will help to avoid damage or severe pain. Home treatment is the best way to prevent the development of the disease and improve the quality of life.